I offered a workshop on ADHD resiliency in January at Shawnee Mission Health Center as part of their Health and Wellness series. Several people attended, some with ADHD and some there to support a family member with ADHD.
Here are a few notes we covered in the How to Create a New Routine section of the workshop. I’ve been asked to present this material again this spring, check my New Events tab here on my website or my business facebook page https://www.facebook.com/yourpeacefulspace/ in the next few weeks for details.
Creating New Routines
How do you know you need one?
- You’re having lots of chatter in your head about a particular challenge.
- It’s a persistent challenge.
- You see that a small behavior change could make your life much easier.
How to create a new routine.
- Remember the conditions that have helped new routines stick in the past.
- Tie it to something you already regularly do…stack/chain/nest your new behavior with existing behaviors.
- Make it easy and efficient.
How to make it stick.
- Practice, walk through it a few times in the beginning.
- Refine at any time.
- Visual prompts. Write it down or draw it out and post in strategic places.
- Hold it lightly whether or not you do this new habit every day, says NOTHING about you as a person…does not touch your innate wellbeing.
- Again, ignore the “mean voice” that says you'll never be able to do this…always ignore the “mean voice.
As always, just email me with questions, email@example.com
Thank you! Nikki